Monday 12 January 2009

Two Things Challenge : Partial / Whole

Walking briskly through First Fleet Place on Friday night, I heard the long drawn-out hooooonk. Rounding the curve of the Quay, weaving through the evening crowds beneath "the toaster" on my way to a performance at the Opera House, I felt anxiety about the "fit" of vessel and bridge - which is daft as she must have already been small enough to get t'other side int first place!

Here is my contribution: a whole gin palace squeezed between part of the Harbour Bridge (on the left) and part of the Opera House (on the right).

Eventually taking my seat in the stalls, I was thrlled by Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" with the young Antoinette Halloran as Cio-Cio-San. I have seen Halloran in a few things now - she was feisty in a semi-staged version of Carmina Burana last year. She seemed chuffed with the resounding reception for last night's performance. The production was a visual feast: clean and restrained with a terrific use of lighting - including the field of floating candles. Good start to my opera-going year! Next is "The Magic Flute" at the end of February.

View other entries in the Two Things Challenge.

10 comments:

Tash said...

How spectacular is that - landmark, after landmark, after seamark? Beautiful shot. & how thrilling to be going to one of the most famous opera houses in the world.
I'll be looking up Halloran. My friend & I saw Mdm Btfy last fall - a very minimalist production that worked well for this opera.
BTW - the little shack at yesterday's post is actually a lifeguard station. Would be a nice place for a small abode thought. RE your Q a while back, there are NO beach shacks or such along PV cliffs...just huge homes. PV still has a lot of modest '50s and '60s style homes - but their fate changes with the new owners come in and renovate.

marley said...

Very cool way to handle the challenge. I like it!

Virginia said...

I can't imagine anything more wonderful than opera at your fabulous Opera House. My oh my!
V

Joan Elizabeth said...

Your a machine. How many challenges can you take on! And you deliver so well and thoughtfully on all of them.

Janet Kincaid said...

Julie: This is wonderful! I like how you interpreted this week's challenge. Very nice! I'm glad you've joined us and look forward to future contributions.

Anonymous said...

Cant say a vacation on one of those enormous vessels appeals to me. A night at the opera, now that is a whole different ball game.

Julie said...

Tash, Marley, V. & DC: Thank you for your visit. I look forward to participating next week. It surely is a challenge ...

JE: I am finding the story crafting exhilarating. The Strangers project is becoming fun. I think we made a breakthrough of a sort today.

Mo: I definitely would NOT want a holiday on a cruise ship. Could not think of anything worse. There would be no soil for me to dig. And all there is to do is chase members of the other sex and drink booze. Pass ...

Rob said...

The whole cruise ship and partial opera house I like it! I am wondering is photos are allowed inside this oper house.

I have never been on a cruise, so I have no opinion on them. I know people who hated them and those hwo loved a cruise. I prefer to explore what a city has to offer.

Julie said...

Nope - photos not allowed. The ushers come over and have a chat with offenders. However, flashes were going off all over the shop on Friday night. That's one of the things I really like about Australians: we like to do the opposite of what we are told.

Maya said...

I love your interpretation of this challenge, and the writing to go with it!