Then: This has to be later than 1931 as the northern pylon of the Harbour Bridge can just be seen in the left of the photo. This thoroughfare is now known as The Opera House Walk and is devoid of traffic. All the wharves have been demolished and the OHW is beside Sydney Cove. The trams in view are chugging their way out to to the end of Bennelong Point to the Fort Macquarie Tramsheds. This is looking to the north with the east on our right.Now:At first sight, the curve and the northern pylon are the few remaining structures. The wharves on the very edge of Sydney Cove have been demolished to open up the view. The warehouses on the right have converted into these prestigious aluminium and glass apartments which the hoi-polloi delight in calling "the toaster". When Captain Arthur Philip set foot on Sydney Cove to raise a settlement on 26th January 1788, the shoreline ran roughly half way back through the OHW; there are plaques indicating the approximate shoreline. Although the water you can see is called Sydney Cove - part of Port Jackson - the structure that retains the earth is actually called Circular Quay.
Below: Once again, East Circular Quay looking out to Bennelong Point with the trees of the Botanic Gardens on the right and the curving Tarpeian Walk along the top of the cut sandstone cliff. This image is before the construction of the Harbour Bridge commenced.