The ANZAC War Memorial in South Hyde Park was completed in 1934 and is celebrating its 75th Anniversary this year. Hyde Park itself was gazetted in 1810 and within two days held its first football match. The War Memorial is in memory of the Australian Imperial Forces who fought in WW1. Until the first quarter of the 20th century Hyde Park South was bordered with low rise shops and elegant terraces. It was not until after the construction of the Memorial that high rise buildings began to crowd out the park and its symbolic relationship with the heart of the city.
Below is a photograph of the building of The Memorial coming to an end with the digging of the Lake of Reflections.