The first "central" station - known as Redfern Station - opened in 1855 with Devonshire Street as its northern boundary. The second central station commenced in 1874 on the same site with the same name. Our Central Station commenced in 1906 on its current site further to the north and with Devonshire Street disappearing into a pedestrian tunnel on the southern end of the platforms. The clock tower was added in 1921. If you look at a map of the city, it is apparent how dislocated the city became with the advent of the enlarged Central Railway Station. Streets running N-S are blocked as well as streets running E-W. This column in the Sydney Morning Herald in December 2007 is an excellent read for locals. Jim Barr is a Sydney blogger who has some wonderful posts showing railway stations mainly on the southern line.
The site to which Central moved had been the Devonshire Street Cemetery known as "the sandhills" which was consecrated in 1820. Many of the headstones and graves had to be removed to the larger Rookwood Cemetery. This station - with 15 platforms - was known as the country platforms and was for steam trains. In 1926 an 8 platform station was built adjacent and to the East for the expanding electrification of the suburban network. A further 4 underground platforms were constructed in 1974 to service the new Eastern Suburbs line.
|This image, released by The Powerhouse Museum - is one of the earliest images of the third incarnation of Central Station, 1906.|
The mid-month Subway theme has contributions from the following cities:
Budapest - London - New York - Paris - Stockholm - Sydney
Next month's Subway post: Town Hall Station