Aching for home, the first white settlers to these shores nested by replication. To counter the drab olive of the bush, birch and oak were struck. In ignorance, bricked facades faced the prevailing breezes. Streets and avenues, majestic in concept yet rustic in fact, were signed York or Kent, Clarence or Sussex, Pitt or George.
Replacing the city markets in 1898, an entire city block adjacent to the Town Hall gave birth to a majestic, domed sandstone and copper ediface which, with a forelock tug, was christened the Queen Victoria Building.
Here be the stained glass window in the dome well on the eastern side, facing George Street.