Tuesday 17 August 2010

Lux aeternam, requiem aeternam

Reginald Gordon Garlick, beloved husband of Nellie
Accidentally killed at Maroubra Speedway
8th January 1927
Aged 39 years.
A most popular, highly skilled devotee of automobile speedway racing, whose career was tragically ended, whilst about to achieve another of his triumphs. Erected by his many respecting and sorrowing friends.


Perched high on the southern cliff that protects Sydney Harbour, lies the South Head General Cemetery. Covering a mere 4 acres and with just 6,000 grave sites this cemetery received it first interment in 1869. It is small when compared with the Waverley Cemetery down in Bronte (40 acres and 50,000) or the massive Rookwood Cemetery out in Lidcombe with its interments in excess of a million over 700 acres.

As I wandered the pathways, I met William Deakin who died in 1941 aged 35, whose wife Sarah lived on until 1988 when she was 82. I acknowledged Daisy Elisabeth Williams who died in 1932 aged 13. I chatted away to Beatrice Wynne Carter, simply known as ‘Little Betty’. I sat with Walter Cooper Brown who died in 1946 aged 48, buried together with his son, Richard Lockwood Brown, who died in 1929 aged 2.

I watched as the morning sun reflected off a skink, sunning itself on their headstone.


A member of the My World Tuesday community.

18 comments:

jabblog said...

Cemeteries are beautiful, interesting places, full of stories untold.
Was Phil the nickname of Reginald Gordon Garlick?

Francisca said...

Cemeteries are alive with history, aren't they! Nice little story and lovely images, Julie. [And that novel is a perfect airplane read!]

Julie said...

Yes. sorry, was going to mention that 'Phil' was a very Australian nickname to get from Reginald Gordon - but it just seemed to undo the ambience of the other words.

Penelope Notes said...

The cemetery you show here seems interesting, indeed. When visiting such places, I read any words I find about the people who rest there and am saddened when the years are small. I am also struck by our frail existence and reminded to enjoy the moments in life.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific post and photos for the day, Julie! Cemeteries are lovely and interesting places to visit. I, too, find it sad that many have died so young and I'm reminded of our frail and fragile existence. I, too, remind myself to make the most of every moment, to enjoy and never miss a chance to laugh and to see the beauty around me. Thanks for the reminder! Hope you have a wonderful week.

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

A great eye for detail - and always a bigger story!

Jim said...

What a great memorial.

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful cemetery full of history. Every life is a story. It only is a pity that not everyone is a writer. I think we miss out on many great novels.

Anonymous said...

What tender photos!

Anonymous said...

Your last pictures are so interesting and differents!! Good work as always!
Have a good day!
Serge

Reader Wil said...

Cemetries make me always very sad and uncomfortable. I don't go often to my husband's grave.
Thank you for your comment on my post about the war memorial. You are right when the war is over you mustn't fill the minds of our children with hatred. The Japanese people I met after the war were kind and even ignorant about what had happened to us. But I can understand that the so called "comfort girls" have a life long trauma.

Joan Elizabeth said...

There are just so many photographic possibilities in a cemetery ... I try not to go to too many because my blog would have nothing else.

I really like the angles and interesting details you have drawn out.

Julie said...

As you may appreciate Joan, the restraint I have shown here astounds even me! I had 13 images chosen, including headstones for all those mentioned here plus Juanita Neilson, Roden Cutler, Frank Packer & Washington H. Soul. I had rusty padlocks and smashed glass surrounded by metal and stone. But went for simplicity and story instead.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I would show them all :) them art and beauty is something so many will never see otherwise thanks for sharing ,,,, On my Blog--these are people we know from church He was the same age as my oldest and the Mom is a friend But i hadn't seen them in a while and they have had so much tragedy in their lives it is so wonderful to see the joy

Lesley said...

What a fitting way to memorialise 'Phil'!

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

very interesting visit, yes cemeteries are quite beautiful and you shared a really memorable visit!

Marites said...

Cemeteries are interesting places. I have this habit of checking out the markers and imagine the lives of the people before their death. Great captures!

My world is here.

Carver said...

That's a beautiful tribute and monument.