Friday 10 December 2010

Taste Test – Mangoes


There is a glut of these little lovelies at the moment. I am consuming two a day. And I have my preference, but is it justified. I thought I should find out.

There are three varieties here: on the left we have the Calypso; in the centre the R2-D2; and, on the right the Kensington Pride. The middle one should lose on name alone. At the moment the Kensington Pride is selling for $3.98 each. The R2-D2 is $1.98. The Calypso is 2 for $3.00, or a tray of 14 for $13.98. My guess is that this tells us something about either quality, or which variety the consumer likes best.


The R2-D2 is by far the largest. It has a medium uncut aroma, which strengthens a little when sliced. However, I find it to be coarse to the tongue. I remember, when I was young, my mother would serve stewed pears. There were bits of the serving that I did not like. It was only later that I realised Mum included slices of choko to make the pear go further. This mango reminded me of the choko. Coarse and crude, lacking subtlety.

The Calypso is slightly smaller than KP which is smaller than the R2-D2. It has a strong external aroma, which ramps up upon slicing. It is a fine flesh, that is easy on the palate. However, the taste is a little bitter. Unsmooth.

The Kensington Pride is just right. Aroma, taste, touch, juice. To see how best to consume a Mango take a look at my 89 year old father, who used to be a Fruit & Veg man.

15 comments:

GalleryJuana said...

I love mangos. Like you I have my preference too. I don't recognize the varieties you mentioned. All I know is I loved the kind I could get when I lived in Mexico.

Your photos sure make them look delicious.

tinyskillet said...

Very interesting. I love the photos and your taste test! We grow mangoes here in Florida and I did some research before I planted my mango tree years ago. I am not familiar with any of your varieties...R2D2...really? :D

Mine is a Kent and is wonderful, but I have to fight the squirrels for them!

Unknown said...

Your mangoes look wonderful. I have eaten mangoes and enjoyed them. To my taste they are like something between a peach and a cantaloupe. Here in Oklahoma we stick pretty much to apples, oranges and bananas. I have never known what to do with a pomegranate,
all those funny little seeds--.

Stephanie V said...

Love mangoes and try to eat as many as possible when they're available. My favorite is the Ataulfo - so sweet and buttery. No strings!

Mary Ann said...

Maybe the varieties that aren't best fresh do something else better--perhapas their meant to be bottled?

And speaking of bottling things, what is choko?

Joan Elizabeth said...

Great post. I don't dislike mango but I don't eat them either. But after your connection with Choko I can assure you I will NEVER eat R2-D2

Jim said...

Good shots. Unfortunately, I don't share your enthusiasm for mangoes. I can only eat them in a fruit salad when the taste is mixed in with other fruit flavours.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Anonymous said...

Not my saying, but I agree with 'best eaten naked in the bath'.

Kris McCracken said...

I can never do that right. I make a hell of a mess.

Ann said...

There is a definite art to eating a mango, which I have just about mastered, though I still think they are best eaten outdoors. Had no idea about the different types, I just buy what the shop has, but some are definitely better than others, must take more notice next time. I enjoy the slight bitterness that comes with the strings near the stone, most of which seem to have been bred out over the years.

Julie said...

Ann, you would enjoy the Calypso mango then, as the bitterness within increases slightly toward the stone.

When sharing with Dad, I give him the two chucks of juicy side and save the seed for moi. He is perplexed as he thinks I have short-changed myself. Little does he know ...

diane b said...

Mmm I love mangoes and like Ann I buy the best deal Mangos and not sure of which type I like best. I prefer the smaller ones. I have learnt the art of eating them with as little mess as possible but haven't mastered avoiding strings in my teeth.
Bill ate a tray full many years ago and after a few more years of eating them every summer, once from a friend's orchard, he eventually built up an allergy to them. Now he breaks out in huge welts around his tummy and they are very itchy. He never eats them anymore but sometimes accidentally when they are included with another product, like juice.

brattcat said...

We usually don't have too much choice here and so we are perhaps a bit less discerning. I would imagine sitting down and eating mangos with you would be pure delight.

Jilly said...

Oh, don't make my mouth water. Mangoes, although I'm not sure what variety - think they came from Bowen, but perhaps that was the avocado. Anyway I partook freely when I lived in Cairns. I laughed at the photos of your father. I remember reading somewhere the best place to eat them is in the bath! I've bought several over the years since I've lived in France but never have they tasted like an Aussie mango.

Francisca said...

Mangoes are my favorite fruit and I must say that I have never tasted any mango that is sweeter and tastier than the Philippine mango.