Monday 18 July 2011

Ambos - Making a difference


The riderless motorcycle caught my attention first, propped outside the QVB. Then, I noticed the empty wheelchair beside it, and by gradual progression the ambulance around the corner in George Street. I never did see the patient. Oblivious of the swelling Friday afternoon crowd, the ambo calmly filled in his paperwork. It would be a long shift. Friday shifts always are in a large city.

Note: According to the website of the Ambulance Service of NSW, the motorcycle paramedics have been part of the service for ten years (so say 2000), and are allocated specific zones within the CBD. They can cut through alleys and through Martin Place (legally) and be with a man with chest pains within 3 minutes!

14 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Ambulance personnel on motorcycles! What a wonderful idea. I've never heard of such a thing before, but so good for city traffic where an ambulance can't always go very fast. Some drivers just don't pay any attention to sirens and flashing lights.
I love this motorcycle. There is no doubt that the rider is one of the good guys! And "ambo" is one of those wonderful Australianisms we seldom hear.
Luv, K

Alan said...

I love the way Australians shorten words and stick an "o" at the end - ambo, reno, bottle-o, relo, servo, etc. I'd say it was laziness if I hadn't spent a year there and witnessed your work ethic first hand!

Julie said...

And to translate: ambulance driver, renovation, liquor store or bottle shop, relative, and petrol station.

Olga said...

Just found your blog - it's lovely! I always like to see photos from places I've never been to...

diane b said...

I didn't know ambo's had motorbikes. A great idea for city traffic. It could be mistaken for a Croatian Football supporters bike. (they wear red and white checked shirts). I just scrolled through your blog for a quick catch up. I love your photos and diverse topics.

Bob Crowe said...

Strong graphic impact. And is that a Maltese cross toward the front? I puzzle over what might have happened.

Peter said...

Goodo!

Jim said...

Right place at the right time.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Interesting observation and attractive shot. Have never heard of ambulance drivers on bikes. It's always fun to see what the Sydney Eye sees.

Joe said...

I have never seen an ambulance driver on a motorbike either. Maybe that's a good thing. Gotta admire people who can do a job saving lives.

Alan said...

Yes, thanks Julie, didn't think about the need for a translation:-)

Julie said...

*grin*

Stefan Jansson said...

Never seen such a motorcycle before. Don't think we have them in Sweden. Yet.

Julie said...

This is interesting. Many people do not seem to think that their city has ambulance personnel on motorbikes, whereas here in Sydney, they are no big deal. No idea how long we have had them, but within the CBD, they are the only way to get help there fast!