Saturday 9 July 2011

WinterFest 4 - Village wenches


The medieval age was an age when men reigned supreme because brain followed brawn. Men were superior because they were physically stronger, and with strength came aggression.Women provided the necessities of life; they were the custodians of Maslow's hierarchy! WinterFest reflected all this accurately.


Women manned (!) stalls. Women sold entry tickets. Women painted faces. Women did not organise in a publicly obvious way. I did not see them striding about with manilla folds and clipboards. They did not announce over microphones.

However, one woman rode a steed in the jousting. One woman shot an arrow and hit a target. WinterFest was meant to reflect the past, not duplicate it. Not for me, at any rate.

5 comments:

brattcat said...

at least women were allowed to enjoy ice-cream.

Kay L. Davies said...

Delightful, Julie. And delicious!
Luv — K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Mark said...

Great observations Julie. I also never knew the Singer sewing machine was a medieval invention!

Jim said...

Hee hee. I love the title.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I love the drape of the fabric on the top shot .. you have caught the light on it so it shows up beautifully. Reminds me of a favourite silk blouse I made when I was at school ... the feel of those sleeves always pleased me.