In 1848 Joseph Fowles produced a booklet of copper-plate engravings showing the streets of Sydney. The engraving on P. 16 depicts a section of lower George Street showing 'E. Chambers' 'Brown Bear', which was a notorious pub in The Rocks. The pub bequeathed its name to a laneway. This laneway later became Little Essex Street and then was consumed totally during numerous rebuildings of the area.
In 2006 a photograph, in the possession of the Sydney Foreshore Authority, was 'muralized' by Dr Pierre Mol, an art history archaeologist. An article in the University of Sydney Alumni magazine gives the background to Mol's techniques.
Walking down George Street to The Quay, the mural is on the LHS immediately after (nearly under) the railway viaduct. It is incredibly realistic, giving the impression one could wander into it.