Friday 7 October 2011

Sub-urban slough


I heard the chink of prized booty as an arthritic fist jagged a tattered caddy up and over the gutter. The whiff of sloshing dregs ensued, as I bagged the final image from the lane and tossed 'They yours?' over my shoulder. Taking a deep breath, I turned to face her, pushing my wallet that little bit further into my hip pocket. The breath clammed in my chest as I realised her age: as I realised my age, and the difference between us.

‘Wotcha lookin’ at, Miss Lah-di-dah with the fancy cam’ra? A woman’s gotta live. And to answer yer question, they’re mine now!’


And with that she shoved them through the lip of the caddy, and made off down the lane toward Underwood Street. She only got as far as the defunct cafe when she paused, turned and threw over her own shoulder: ‘Well, you comin’?’

I hesitated frowning, and her cackle escaped through blackened teeth.

‘I’ll not be havin’ you stealin’ my image from behind. If yer want a portrait of an urban rust-bucket, then lets’s do it properly – out in the golden hour. An’ you can let that wallet off the leash at the same time!’

As we turned into Underwood street, heading for the Eddie Ward Centre, I knew this was gonna cost me, and more than mere money.

16 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Julie, how can you make rust so beautiful?

Kay L. Davies said...

Ooh, so there's more coming? Good!
She sure sounds feisty, Julie.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Halcyon said...

Fantastic details.

Fabien said...

I really like the first

Jeff said...

The wonders of oxidation. Beautiful stuff.

Jim said...

Terrific rusty shots.

Windsmoke. said...

Bonza photos that make rust look elegant :-).

Ann said...

Wonderful, wonderful rust.

Jilly said...

Oh yes, you've really caught my attention. What is it about rust that is so utterly fascinating? Love them all. Beautiful shots.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm a great fan of the rusty image and these are beauties Julie, meanwhile...can't wait for the next installment...!!Have a great weekend (but don't keep us hanging 'til Monday haha!!)

Mary Ann said...

Don't know where this is going, but I think I like it.

Joan Elizabeth said...

What wonderful red rust ... especially 1 and 4. But oh that shed is magic ... roof, fence and brick wall have got it all.

Looking forward to the rest of the story ... I am feeling quite scared at the moment.

Unknown said...

I love rust and the fantastic fence perspective is my favourite shot. Great post, Julie.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice words and some really cool rust photos.

freefalling said...

haha!
That's not true!
You're making up stories!
Love the last shot.

Vicki said...

I'm really enjoying the story -- pictures and words.