Referred to affectionately as 'Big School', the senior part of Sydney Grammar School stands on College Street, facing Hyde Park south, and beside the Australian Museum. It is a secondary school for boys only, aged from about 13 to about 18 years of age. Currently, the enrolment is about 1,100 boys. There are two preparatory schools: St Ives with its 400 enrolments; and, Edgecliff with its 300 enrolments.
The foundation stone for this building, bearing the name of the Chief Justice, Francis Forbes, and the name of the State Governor, Richard Bourke, was laid in 1830, whereupon the building was home to Sydney College, which closed in 1850. Between 1850 and 1857 the building housed the fledgling University of Sydney. In 1854 Sydney Grammar School was established by Act of Parliament, and has occupied the buildings ever since. The annual fee for each of the six senior school years is $27,324.