Wednesday 25 April 2012

Putting my lens where my mouth is

Never one to shirk 'calling' an outrageous claim, I blithely put my lens where my mouth was earlier this week when Peter from Sydney Emerald City claimed that he had found Plane trees with the most autumn colour in Sydney. Having observed quite a few Plane Trees this week, I think I have concluded that they do not have autumn colour, instead the leaves turn yellow, then brown, and when dead, fall off. Semantics, I guess.

I kept my eyes peeled as I took the 389 bus, the 380 bus, the 378 bus, and the train down to Gymea. I found quite a few examples but settled upon this fine stand of Plane Trees along Oxford Street, Woollahra.

They are within a centre verge of Oxford Street, where the carriageway runs along the edge of Centennial Park near the water tower before you get to the Waverley Bus Depot. In fact, this central verge used to house a double tram track prior to the 1960 cessation of that service.

Plane Trees (the London variety) are the tree of choice along the entirety of Oxford Street, from Darlinghurst to Bondi. Give it another 25 years and they will be quite striking, with their winter bones, their summer shade, and their autumn colour. According to a polemic issued by the City of Sydney the Plane Tree is 'the most widely planted street tree in Europe, North America, New Zealand, and Australia.' It has a robust structure, and is resistant to urban conditions. It is tolerant to urban pollution, and compaction. AND ... contrary to popular contention, does not add to the woes of asthmatics.

So, Peter and Jim: here is my riposte. The first image was taken at 5:01pm, and the last image was taken at 3:26pm.

8 comments:

Virginia said...

I always forget that our seasons are switched. You know the French would have clipped those to a fair thee well! :)
V

raf said...

Your point well made about the Plane trees, Julie, but I do like that the contrast and perspective in your first photo very much.

Kay L. Davies said...

I love the first photo, Julie, with the sun on the tree-tops and some of the trunks. Gorgeous.
K

Jim said...

Terrific Autumnal colours. Great row of plane trees.

Joe said...

Great shots, particularly the first one. We have a lot of plane trees down here. Must see if I can spot different varieties.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I have a fondness for the plane trees for all of the reasons mentioned Julie, they do make a fabulous avenue 'liner'! The 5.01 shot with the late afternoon sun going down is a beauty!

Speedway said...

I agree, Julie, "plane trees," which I learned are called American Sycamore where I am from, do not make beautiful fall colors with their leaves. However, they do more than make up for it with their shedding bark. In winter, it stands out brightly in the landscpe, leaving beautiful accent of gray-white against the dreary darkness of other bare trees.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I reckon plane trees are just plain when it comes to autumn colour but I love to see their big leaves blowing along the street. Its their summer cool that delights me more.