Saturday 10 November 2012

Frog Hollow swirls in the past


It's a steep lift out of Frog Hollow, up the dog-legged crannies of Little Riley Street, over Reservoir Street, where the incline gets murd'rous. Neither couple was talking much; muttering was more like it. Corner of the mouth stuff. Accusational. The 'shes' struggled a bit more than the 'hes'; with the incline, but also with keeping emotions in check. I wondered if they had any idea what this patchwork of lanes was like eighty years earlier. What the working class rif-raf got up to down in that there hollow, from whence they had all come. But each couple went their separate ways, and as the sounds of their footsteps reverberated more softly, I took a gulp of air and brought the faded old photographs of life in the area to the front of my mind.

6 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Grin ... those city streets giving you joy and feeding your imagination. I saw your response to my comment a few posts back.

Jilly said...

Not sure which I love the most - the images or the writing but then you write so beautifully and lyrically. I sympathise with the walk UP - I do it several times a day - up my track ...

diane b said...

You manage well to clamber around these hilly places imagining being there 80 years ago.

Jim said...

Great inner city post.

Anonymous said...

Your fit I must say.

Have you been to Halifax, Ontario.

They are steep also.

Beautiful pictures.

Mo said...

I stumbled by accident on another blog that a new community has been set up. I've now put the banner on my side bar. Pity there wasn't a way to email or contact everybody. One small matter I found on the new group, is that it is very difficult to find other bloggers if you are looking for one in particular. Although it is lovely to see the thumbnails it would also be helpful to just have the url or city without a thumbnail. I think this will become even more of an issue as the numbers steadily increase. So who are the stars behind the new setup?