Wednesday 8 May 2013

An allotment past its priime


With visions of yours truly in the role of Miss Marple floating before my eyes, I peered between the overgrown hedges into a tired, and very blousy allotment. Here in the land downunder, we don't call them an allotment, but a community garden. Not that this was either, actually. It is just that the block of land slopes so terribly that the backgarden is level with the roof of the house below. And, you know what they say: 'out of sight is out of mind'.

This though is perfect for a joint garden between neighbours, except for that ownership thing that we have in this country for real-estate. And heaven help anyone who sets a toe across a neighbour's boundary. Shame that the communal ownership of our indigenous citizens is not more popular. This had a great pumpkin vine among the weeds. And an orange tree heavy with fruit. A lemon likewise. Plus two lime trees similarly weighed down. Do you know that I bought six lemons this afternoon, and each lemon cost me 98c.


4 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I believe they are called community gardens here in Canada too, although I have also heard the term allotment garden.

I agree that it's a shame communal ownership is not more popular here in Canada too. Each lemon cost you 98 cents and look at all those lemons on that tree!

Jim said...

Regarding my John Baptist Fountain today. Apparently these are supposed to be dolphins. They are spouting turtles in the Archibald Fountain. Yes, there is another Baptist Fountain in Redfern Park which I have featured on my blog.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Ah this had me thinking. We are very free and easy with our garden with gates from each of the neighbours leading into our property and the neighbours at the back use our garden as an easier track to the railway station so people as passing in and out all the time.

We share an easy friendship and help each other out. But we don't share produce! I too pay 98c for lemons when the tree next door is laden with fruit. And probably all I have to do is ask.

Julie said...

You need to set up some sort of neighourhood barter system ...