Saturday 1 February 2014

Sydney from on high (9) - Entry

From the observation level of the Sydney Tower, with a 105mm lens.

Way out there, about 9 kms away- as the crow flies - is the entrance to Sydney Harbour, aka Port Jackson. North Head is the more perpendicular of the two, South Head is a more gentle slope. Out on the horizon is the Pacific Ocean.

As has been my want in this series, what can I draw your attention to? ("to what can I draw your attention", if you prefer a more exact grammar.)

This photo shows 3 of the 9 islands in the harbour: Shark Island is furthest out, and then Clarke Island. The third, Garden Island, has been joined to the shoreline by a naval dockyard extension in 1942. All that built environment on the longest peninsula is a naval base. The bit where the red "boat" is moored.

Come right back to all the greenery in the foreground. This is the Royal Botanic Gardens and The Governor's Domain. The little bay on the left is Farm Cove, where Governor Phillip initially dropped anchor in January 1788. On the bottom RHS of the photograph is one of my favourite buildings in the city: the Art Gallery of NSW.

This is my entry in the CDP Theme Day for February.

23 comments:

Jim said...

Top shot

Bruce Caspersonn said...

Congratulations on that photo & your grammar.
I wonder what is the role of that red ship. (A boat is something you take in the bath with you.)

Julie said...

*grin* - I deliberately called it a boatt, Bruce, as I had no idea what sort of a ship it was!

Kate said...

I would like to be at the entrance to this harbor!

Julie said...

Thank you for poking your head around our Heads, Kate.

EG CameraGirl said...

The entry into Sidney is spectacular!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

That 105mm lens has done well Julie.. oh ok maybe you had something to do with it :) I'd love to go up there when I come over in April but I fear my fear will be a problem. The entrance to the harbour is quite a sight isn't it.. apart from the obvious modernizations the actual land structure wouldn't have changed much would it? I mean not like ours is about to with artificial inlets and suchlike in the obnoxious Elizabeth Quay!

cieldequimper said...

That's a glorious entry.

Tanya Breese said...

that's a beautiful view!

Gunn said...

Strange.... First I thought this was from my country :)

Anyway, it is a good choice of image for the theme day.

Small City Scenes said...

Wow this shot is grand. Great 'Entry' to your area. Love the water. We are surrounded by it here too. MB

VP said...

What a beautiful series! I went back to the other shots to enjoy the view!

Stuart said...

What an incredible view. I really like the nice bends in the water as it approaches the port. What a safe harbor this must be. And, as the son of an English teacher, I appreciate the grammatical correctness !

Daryl said...

what a terrific photo ..

diane b said...

A nice overall shot of the harbour.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Julie, I love this shot, a treasure to the eyes. You should be the official harbor photographer!

Bises,
Genie

Oakland Daily Photo said...

These series has been quite edifying. I had no idea that the way into Sydney Harbor was so sinuous and had so many islands. I guess I assumed it was an open bay. So wrong.

LOLfromPasa said...

This is a view that I don't recall seeing before. Wonderful 'entry' to Sydney!

Lois said...

Nice entry photo Julie! I have always been fascinated by islands.

paul said...

A splendid view over your beautiful harbour. North and South heads are so different.

Joe said...

Sydney Harbour is a magnificent part of the world.

Bruce Caspersonn said...

I spent all day on Shark Island for the Navy day thing last year.
WONDERFUL!

Jane Bennett Artist said...

Hi Julie, great panorama!
The red ship is an Offshore Support Vessel formerly called "Skandi Bergen" and now "Ocean Shield". I was painting the Hammerhead Crane at Garden Island recently. I wasn't able to paint near the Ocean Shield, but another red ship docked directly under the crane- the "Polar Star", later sent on the Antarctic rescue mission http://janebennettartist.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/painting-icebreaker-polar-star.html