Friday 14 November 2014

National Portrait Gallery (3/4)

I find myself attracted to hands. So during my visit to the Gallery, that is all I photographed. Hands in a photograph tell us a lot about the subject. Hands in a painting CAN tell us about the subject, but they can also tell us whether the artist truly valued hands, and paid them due attention..

ABOVE: the hands of Herbert Bradham as painted by Herbert Bradham
Bradham (1899-1961) was a middle-order Australian artist, writer, and teacher

Below: the hands of Sir MacFarlane Burnett (1899-1985) as painted by William Dargie
Burnett was a medical scientist who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1960. He was the first ever "Australian of the Year" in 1960
The National Portrait Gallery in Canberra opened in December 2008.

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

I particularly like the first one.

There's a painting in our national gallery that I'm reminded of. A woman teacher in the midst of a group of older men, but somehow her hand is a focal point of the work. I should photograph that.

Julie said...

I would love to see that William. Of my images, only the painting of Nancy Wake has the hands as the focal point of the image.

Joan Elizabeth said...

My favourites are still the worn hands in the first of the series.