Friday 20 February 2015

Bulletin Place


Bulletin Place runs between Pitt Street, and Macquarie Plce, just back from Circular Quay. This is where J. F. Archibald first published "The Bulletin" back in 1880, so one assumes this little alley was frequented by the likes of Henry Lawson, and Banjo Patterson.

The land on which these 1880 warehouses stand, was part of a grant to Andrew Thompson on 1 January 1810. The survival of these three warehouses, all on shallow sites in a narrow street, retains a tiny part of an historic streetscape. Bulletin Place is situated on land reclaimed from the mouth of the Tank Stream, which runs in a stormwater drain beneath Pitt Street.

9 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Lovely to see the old industrial buildings have become a trendy place.

Joe said...

YOu are bringing history to life Julie.

Alain said...

La couleur bleue est à la mode.

Bruce Caspersonn said...

My first job was in a building in Macquarie Place, about 100 years ago.

William Kendall said...

The current use reminds me of one place around here, though those courtyards are not used as such this time of year.

diane b said...

Looks like a very trendy lane now days

Julie said...

Thank you, Joe. I take that as a wonderful compliment.

Julie said...

Bruce - I know what you mean about 100 years ago.

Joan Elizabeth said...

City scenes like this please me. I guess I imagine myself enjoying a relaxing refreshment on a warm day.