Friday 15 May 2015

From sow's ear to silk purse ... sort of!


Patience, and a watchful eye, are two attributes that every photographer should carry in their kit-bag. They help me make a silk-purse out of a sow's ear. Not that these two shots are "silk-purses"!

In the first pair, I liked the shadow lines on the foot-bridge, but the full image did not emphasise them. Instead of just cropping, back here in my parlour, I took another shot just of the shadows, which satisfied me more.

In the second pair, I liked the rusty cyclone-fence, and the disappearing path. But a disappearing path is nearly alwways better with someone disappearing along it. All I had to do was wait, in this case, less than a minute.


6 comments:

Joe said...

I agree patience and a watchful eye are two very important tools for a photographer as you have demonstrated here. Of late I am asking myself to find the uniqueness in a frame and try and emphasise it. A photographers tools evolve, they dip they weave with not only the subject but also the photographers mood.

Stefan Jansson said...

Patience is as you say very important when it comes to photography. I do lack a bit of that. Sometimes when I'm very happy with a photo I had to wait for no one else seems to get it!

diane b said...

Pople make a photo come alive.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful composition in these shots!

freefalling said...

I dunno - I like the first one of the disappearing path. With the fence in the foreground so striking and in focus and the path slightly out of focus - I think it captures the disappearing quality better. And the dark in the foreground and the bits of light leading your eye down the path.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I like dappled light