Tuesday 5 May 2015

Underneath the arches ...


This week is lovely and mild, but since Easter we have received some wild and woolly weather! Last Wednesday, as I stood beneath the northern pylon of the bridge, a squall blew in from the ocean, giving my city an unusual pallor.

I was looking SE from Milsons Point - the northern point of the bridge - through to Sydney Cove, where yet another massive gin-palace was tied to the bollards. The Opera House is on Bennelong Point, and the southern pylon of the bridge is on Dawes Point. Prior to 1932, a ferry chugged from Dawes Point to Milsons Point.

Note the icons: SHB, SOH, Manly Ferry, Rivercat Ferry, Sydney Cove. Not that I'm counting, or anything.

Note also, that the Flanagan & Allen song, "Underneath the Arches" was written in 1932, the year this bridge was opened.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I don't recall ever seeing the Opera House from this perspective. Beautiful!

Joe said...

I have been watching the news reports of the weather in Sydney Julie. It has caused quite a lot of damage. I hope that the sunshine returns soon.