Thursday 3 March 2016

A "Sydney Living Museum" Pass



I have a Sydney Living Museum 3-month pass, that enables me to see four named museums for an investment of $8.

I saw the Museum of Sydney first, which is on Bridge Stree, down near Circular Quay, on the site of the first Government House. Then I went through the Justice & Police Museum, which is on Phillip Street, also down near Circular Quay. My third museum is this one: Hyde Park Barracks.




Hyde Park Barracks is on Macquarie Street adjacent to Hyde Park. It was commissioned by Governor Lachlan Macquarie, and designed and overseen by Francis Greenway. In 1817 it was ready for its first intake of convicts. From 1788 until then, convicts were mostly able to spend the night wherever they could find a roof. Where else were they going to run off too? Sydney was down the nether-end of the world! Those who did try to escape, died quickly in the unforgiving bush.




5 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

I really like this building and think your bottom shot is a ripper.

Joe said...

Gee - such great value for just $8. That's terrific Julie.

Justyna Żukowska said...

Interesting museum.

William Kendall said...

Museums always draw me in, so I'd like to see this place. The architecture alone is reason enough.

Mo said...

I love museums and art galleries and have a wallet full of memberships. There are lots free in London but special exhibits are often expensive., I get good value out of my memberships. Looks like you do too.