As the name suggests, Town Hall Station is in the civic centre of the city. It is the first station in the City Circle with the line heading underground about 150 metres north of Central Station. The City Circle section of the Sydney railway system was the brain child of J.J.C. Bradfield and formed an integral part of his vision for the expanding city which included the Sydney Harbour Bridge to link the northern and southern shores of the harbour.
The opening in December 1926, of the St James and Museum stations marked his plan's first result. With the addition of Town Hall and Wynyard stations in February 1932, the resulting loop enable trains to continue their journey back to Central in a forwards direction. With the completion of the Harbour bridge later in 1932, Sydney's railway system served the city well until 1956 when the Circular Quay extension linked the CBD with the civic centre.
|Left: Showing the construction of the roof over the lowest platform at Town Hall.|
Right: George Street looking north showing the hole for the construction of the station below. In the foreground on the left is firstly St Andrews Cathedral and then the Town Hall itself both of which stand on the site of the original town cemetery (closed for new internments about 1829). In the centre background is the Queen Victoria Building which stands on the site of the original city markets.
The mid-month Subway theme has contributions from the following cities:
Budapest - London - New York - Paris - Stockholm - Sydney
Next month's Subway post: Museum Station