Banners flutter along Glebe Point Road trumpeting the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the suburb: 1859. For each major artery that weaves through the suburb there is a service lane: Wigram Road is accompanied by Wigram Lane. Lanes were the original method of servicing the sewer requirements, allowing discreet access to the "night cart".
Although the night cart is no more, access is still required by council waste management vehicles. This lane lies deep within the original parcel of land granted the the Church of England as "The Glebe" which is a word indicating a plot of land belonging to an English parish church or an ecclesiastical office.