Manhole (or valve) covers seem to be frequently associated with public utilities like gas, water (drainage), sewer (plumbing), electricity and telecommunications. These covers assist with the supply of gas around Paddington, Woollahra and Bondi Junction.
Established as a penal colony in 1788, Sydney was only incorporated in 1842. Until May 1841, the population of 30,000 was reliant upon oil for heating and cooking and light after dark, oil and the extensive hours of sunshine that Sydney enjoys to this day. The 24th May was the first night of reticulated gas supply in Australia provided by The Australian Gas Light Company which had been formed in 1837. Of the lamps lighted, 22 were street lights and about 160 were households. After incorporation, the City of Sydney began an extensive lighting of the streets but still left it to AGL to provide the power source for the next 50 years.
Fidax Foundry was established in 1947 and is located in Silverwater, a suburb in the inner West. The Jenco 4035 G trap is manufactured by DEKS Industies which was also established in 1947.