Thursday, 7 July 2011

WinterFest 2 - Birds of Prey


This Band of Merry Men took to the field with four birds for a constrained display. It was a pea'n'thimble commentary which took one's attention from the paucity of bird knowledge and training. The birds were quite magnificent as were the costumes. A lot of sizzle, not much sausage, I am afraid.


Two Kestrels were paraded first. The second one was let go and did a magnificent loop above the field, but then disappeared. I have no idea if he returned. They said he would as he was hungry. Then came a Barn Owl who was tempted with a 'rabbit'. Finally, they trotted out a magnificent version of the Wedge-tailed Eagle. However, as a show, I much prefered the one outside Darwin last year, but it was all about the birds, not about the status they conveyed in Medieval times. A mismatch between me and the entertainment, I guess.

12 comments:

Speedway said...

Those birds are wonderful! I especially like the top one and the seeing the eagle's wingspan in the bottom. As a kid, I read Hardy Boys mysteries, one of which hawking as part of the story line. I've been fascinated ever since; if I were ever to take up hunting, this is how I would want to do it. Don't know why.

DeeBee L. said...

I have seen such birds "at work" they are fascinating, so swift and precise and gracious!

anni said...

Impressive. i also like the man's colorful interesting outfit

freefalling said...

OMG!
I want one of those red bird hats!
How fabulous is that?

And what kind of rabbit do they call that?
It looks like a toilet roll!
Where's its legs?

Ann said...

Great shots. I didn't bother watching this, was wandering around the stalls instead, but everyone thought it was hilarious that 2 birds flew off and didn't come back. Apparently it happened the day before as well and they eventually found them in the park.

J Bar said...

That bright red against the brilliant blue sky looks especially good.

Bob Crowe said...

What does the term pea-and-thimble mean, for the benefit of non-Australians? Small, I suppose. The birds are magnificent, the last picture particularly so.

Joe said...

What a feast for your camera lens Julie.

Joan Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful "cloak" the bird is wearing in the bottom shot. Wonderful to be so close up to their majesty.

Thérèse said...

A delight for the eye!

Julie said...

"Pea & Thimble" ... I do not think this is an Australian expression, Bob. It is the old fair-ground sleight of hand where onlookers have to guess under which thimble the pea is, about much shuffling around by the stall-holder especially accompanied by a garrulous commentary meant to blur the concentration of participants.

Rae Walter said...

Wonderful captures Julie. Brought back memories of my time in Mongolia when I was able to hold one of these birds of prey. It was such an amazing and powerful experience to hold these beautiful creatures although I had very mixed emotions given the captivity of these birds.