|This is looking north-east from the Sydney Tower observation deck. The obvious landmark is the harbour bridge, completed in 1932. At this point the water beneath the bridge changes name. On the eastern side (the right, in this image), the water is called Sydney Harbour or more officially, Port Jackson. On the western side (the left in this image), the water is called the Parramatta River. It is all a massive drowned valley.|
The high-rise buildings on the other side of the water are North Sydney, and the little bay in front of the high-risers, is Lavender Bay. From the bridge, one can make out the Warringah Expressway as it streams traffic away from the CBD and up to the "north shore" (curving left), or across to the northern beaches (curving right). It is pretty much houses as far as the eye can see.