Sunday 9 August 2015

Onwards and Upwards


The AMP Tower at 33 Albert Street, Circular Quay.

In 1957, after nearly a year of negotiation between AMP and the NSW Government, the Height of Buildings Act 1912 was finally repealed, paving the way for the AMP Building to rise to more than double the previous height limit. It was the first Sydney building to break the 150-foot (46-metre) height limit that had limited the city’s skyline for 45 years. I was one of the thousands of Sydneysiders who flocked to the rooftop observation platform to experience Sydney Cove from such a wondrous height! The photo below was taken in December, 1963. I am with my father.


7 comments:

William Kendall said...

A good family photo to have, and quite an imposing building from below!

Jim said...

Great view of the building too.

Luis Gomez said...

Love your picture with your Dad. I loved going to the AMP Tower while I lived in Sydney. I never tired of the views.

AsAeenBySusan said...

What a lovely photo memory.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I did that too … it would have been 1969 when I did a school trip. We caught the train down to Sydney, then onto the Blue Mountains, quite an adventure.

diane b said...

A great shot from someone who has a balance problem. I remember it being built but I have never ben to the observation deck. Nice shot of you and your dad up there.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

Nice family photo. Today is Father's day here.